Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Perfect Trail Mix


So basically, I LOVE trail mix. However, i'm pretty picky as too what goes in it. Monster mix from target. yum. sweet and salty from the airport - yummer. But I've never been able to find that perfect trail mix that has absolutely everything I want in it. THUS I have concocted my own blend, and of course, it is absolutely perfect in every way (at least to my stadards). I think the only way this would be ever better is if it had zero calories, but unfortunately in the world of trail mix that is completely impossible.



*Warning* this makes A LOT of trail mix. (enough to get me through about 2 weeks but probably longer for the average person) otherwise recipe may be halved

Ingredients
16 oz. Unsalted Peanuts
16 oz. Salted Cashews
1 lb. unsalted sunflower kernels (whole foods)
1/4 lb. unsalted pumpkin seeds (whole foods)
15 oz. Sun-maid raisins
12 oz. bag craisins (pref. ocean spray)
M&Ms "medium" size bag -or- 19.2 oz.
regular salt

Directions
It is easier to just buy pre-salted ingredients but I like to salt it myself (except for the cashews because unsalted is too expensive) so everything has a unified taste AND so I know what actually goes into my trail mix.
First preheat the oven to 325. You're gonna need two large trays (or cookie sheets that have rims). Boil water in the microwave and add about 2 1/2 tablespoons of salt to the water and stir until pretty much everything has dissolved. Put the sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds on one tray and the peanuts on another. Pour just enough of the salt water mixture to get the seeds and nuts wet and toss them around with your hands. Place the 2 trays into the oven and watch them carefully for about 20 minutes. Occasionally open the oven and mix around the nuts and seeds so that they don't stick and to make sure that all of the seeds etc. get toasted. Let everything cool for about 10 minutes and then combine all of the ingredients into a large bowl. If you eat it right after its all combined the m&ms are a little warm which is my favorite part! (but make sure everything isn't too hot that the m&ms melt completely)


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that is how you salt nuts. amazing.
    I like salty nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like salty nuts. Wet nuts (from tcgby - mothers favorite) are even more delectable - atop some cold creamy goodness (white chocolate mouse of course)

    ReplyDelete