Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lemon Almond Cookies



This past week I was diagnosed with strep, an infection and for a while mono and some type of liver syndrome. Fortunately I didn't have mono or the syndrome, but either way, last week was actually hell. So 3 prescriptions, 4 visits to the health center, getting my blood drawn (hate this hate this hate this) and 4 shots in my lower back later, and I am finally feeling better. Unlike I did  in high school, I never go to the health center anymore unless I'm actually dying. Last year I thought I would never have another nurse like the ones at The Hill. That place was like my home away from home. They really took care of me, even when I didn't really need to be taken care of. But I was truly proven wrong after this week. It may not be the Hill School Health Center, what with their oh-so-sweet demeanor, chocolate pudding, and actually perfect bagels, but its definitely a close second. So to say thank you to the one nurse in particular that really really took care of me everyday, I baked her some lemon almond sugar cookies and dropped them off to hopefully brighten her day.

My Cookie Instagram (love this app. I feel so artsy!)

According to Beverly, the amazing nurse that took care of me, so many college students (AND parents, actually especially parents) forget to simply say thank you. That made me so unbelievable disappointed considering how much these women really do for the sick students and people that filter out of there every day. So to the probably 5 people that read this blog, remember to just be appreciative! You have no idea how big of a difference a simple thank you can be.

These cookies are actually delicious though






Ingredients 
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions: 
Rather than pretend like this recipe is my own, just follow this link and the real creator will tell you how its done. The only thing I did differently was that I only rolled the cookies in sugar rather than sugar and more lemon zest. I thought they were zesty enough.
PS these cookies are MUCH better the day after or when they have become room temperature. Don't even bother tasting them right out of the oven because they aren't that great.




No comments:

Post a Comment