Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Funfetti Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies


I have been ogling the notorious Sally's Baking Addiction funfetti Cookies for what seems like ages now. I knew it had to be the first cookie I made when I finally got back into the kitchen. It was SO worth it! You must make these. They are everything she describes them as on her blog. Chewy and soft but still crisp on the outside.

I tried baking them tall like she talks about, as well. I'm on the fence about the idea. I'm not sure if it is necessary for every cookie recipe, but  I think it's the best method for these. I tried baking them the normal way, and they were still great of course, but crispier and less chewy. I guess it is just a matter of preference, but I definitely want to try it a couple more times before I convert completely. They definitely aren't as pretty though, that's for sure. And it required a little more work. The cookies have to be reshaped/pushed into circles immediately after they get out of the oven, otherwise they look awkwardly oval. I might just have to take one for the team and experiment with this entire recipe all over again before I go back to school. Obviously for the sake of technique....not because I want more cookies...because I'm on a diet....



Funfetti Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies 
adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction 

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup yellow cake mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature sugar
1 egg, room temp
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles

1. In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (first 6)

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until pale and fluffy

3. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on medium high for another minute until fluffy and creamy

4. Add the flour mixture and mix on LOW until just combined if using a stand mixer (can also be added in 3 increments to avoid mess)

5. Mix in the chocolate chips and sprinkles until just combined. don't over-mix! if you are afraid of over-mixing, fold in the chips and sprinkles

6. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, but preferably for several or overnight.

7. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 and shape the cookies dough balls by roll tablespoon sized balls and stack on on top of another so that they are tall instead of wide. This isn't a required step, but it's an interesting experiment that I suggest trying at least once. If they fall over during baking, that's ok. You can always push them back into circles when they come out of the oven. (but do it immediately if that is the case)

8. Bake for 11-13 minutes. They may not look like they are done, but they are. After the cookies have deflated a bit after baking, remove the tin foil or silpat from the cookie sheet so they the cookies can cool against the cold counter rather than continue to bake on the hot sheet.








No comments:

Post a Comment