Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sautéed Apple and Brie Crostinis



Of course you can just eat the uncooked apples on top instead, but the sauté makes them warm and tender and remenicent of delicious apple pie. This would actually make a great appetizer to a holiday party or thanksgiving dinner. It's also great if you have a brother who is allergic to raw apples but not cooked, like me. That's an allergy I've never quite understood; like he can have apple pie but he can't eat it in a salad? I wonder what it is about the rawness that he can't have. I guess something get's cooked out in the baking process; but isn't what's baked out still in the pie itself? Who knows! well google probably does...The fact that raw apples is the only food allergy we have in my family is such a blessing though. I got in a car with a girl allergic to peanuts and she could smell it on my breath! Peanut butter does have a pretty distinct smell, but still. I also sat by another coach when I was a counselor on a 10 hour bus ride once only to find out if I had eaten peanuts that day with my hand and he touched my hand (even hours later), he would have had an allergic reaction - and I had brought snacks with peanuts with me on that trip....

After experiences like that and knowing a million and one people with allergies, if I ever open a restaurant, customers should know everything in my food. I don't know how, but they should. I mean I made curry last night and it had flour in it. Did you know a lot of curry's have flour? because I didn't! But anyway I digress; don't know how this got me on a rant about allergies.. but back to the crostinis...

Sautéed Apple and Brie Crostinis 

Ingredients
1 french baguette
1 apple, sliced
wedge of brie (or spreadable)
1 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of sugar
Sea salt or fleur de sel

Preheat the oven to 350. Slice the baguette at an angle to get optimal surface area for the apple slices. (if desired) very lightly brush or dip the slices of bread in melted butter. Toast for about 7 minutes until lightly brown around the edges, watching closely.

Melt the butter and sugar over medium heat. Add the apple slices and sauté on each side for about 2 minutes or until tender and slightly brown on the edges.

Place slices of brie on the hot bread, then place the sautéed apples on top. Sprinkle with fleur de del or sea salt and serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment