Monday, July 11, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake




Strawberry Shortcake is one of my favorite desserts. Some people like a cake-y shortcake but I always loved the biscuit style - this is probably due to my obsession with the strawberry shortcake dessert from one of my favorite restaurants, Commander's Palace, which is plate licking good. I got this recipe from Martha Stewart, and although I have made it before, I thought I remembered it being better. I totally forgot I have the Commander's Palace cookbook which has their shortcake recipe in it which I am definitely making next time. Either way this recipe is still pretty good and relatively simple too. It is actually not-sweet(?) enough to be eaten as a breakfast biscuit as well.


I would give you the biscuit recipe but I almost used martha's verbatim. All I did was add an extra tablespoon of heavy cream to the dough to hold it together better and I didn't use a vanilla bean - cause those are beyond expensive.

Whipped Cream 
Ingredients 
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

Beat the heavy cream BY HAND. Even Martha warned me about using an electric stand mixer but I did it anyway. I was totally wrong. I thought it would be fine since I have used a hand held mixer but it really does make a difference. The hand mixer is substantially better than the stand but doing it by hand is your best bet. It does take a lot longer and your arms do start to hurt after a while but its much harder to mess up with way. (and if you are anything like me, having to go to the grocery store more than once, especially to get more heavy cream, suuuccckkssss - even though it always happens to me. so annoying)

Whisked by Hand

Stand Mixer

No comments:

Post a Comment