Thursday, July 28, 2011

Easy Guacamole


I was supposed to make this guacamole yesterday (along with the other Mexican style delicacies) but the avocados where not ripe in time. I have learned much about this creature called the avocado. They are sensitive, temperamental and very moody - to ripe and its stringy and mushy; to un-ripe (young?) and its too hard. They have to be perfect. Soft, but not so much so that it feels smushy.You can also tell my the color. If its super green it's too ripe. If it's black it's too ripe. A nice dark green color means its right on target.




do you love avocados? This guy does! --> (so sad this pic isn't bigger. totally would have been my new default)


p.s. did you know avocados grow on trees? I didn't!

Ingredients
2 Avocados
2 teaspoons sour cream
juice from half a lime
1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small tomato, diced

Pitting or de-seeding an avocado. Stab it with the knife and pull. The hard part is getting the seed off of the knife because the seed is actually really slippery. Try not to use your hands and definitely don't stab it so hard that you can't get it off. If this makes you nervous just scoop it out with a spoon.
Directions
Using a whisk or fork, gently mash up the avocados (making sure to leave so decent chunks. unless you aren't into that...) the squeeze in the juice. Add the sour cream and the cilantro (can also use milk. I learned this from Patrick Singly - the owner of Gautreau's, father of the chirren I'm babysitting tonight and superhero that fixed my flat tire which I got on my way to babysitting last week. he says it helps keep the guacamole from turning that gross brown color). Then add the salt and lastly the diced tomatoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment