Friday, August 26, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

So it's officially my first week in our new apartment - our being myself and Courtney Cooper, the girl in basically all of  my recent facebook pictures (something we decided to improve upon this upcoming year). The apartment is so nice and the kitchen is amazing. I wanted to make something for Courtney and her family before they got here so I made cookies and muffins (I had a lot of free time after my two days full of moving). I wanted to made bread also but harry tits (aka Harris Teeter) was out of active dry yeast. lame.

Anyway, I wasn't very creative with this recipe because I don't consider myself a muffin expert (apart from my muffin top leftover from this summer slash middle school) so I just used a recipe from good ole allrecipes.com that I altered a lil bit. I mean 5,013 people said it was good so why bother trying to drastically change it, right? They were really good and I would probably make them again, but as embarrassed as I am to say it... the Colonnades dining hall at Elon makes them better (when they are warm and fresh that is). I'm pretty sure they cheat and they can't really be compared but i'm pretty tight with them dining hall ladies so maybe I can get the inside scoop on their recipe. I think this is the first time since like lower school that I have gotten to know the dining hall ladies better than the ones health center at boarding school. I practically lived at the Health Center. Those women were like my second family. I went so much my sickness folder was almost as thick as Caroline Moxley's (I'm just kidding Caroline I have no idea how thick your folder was).But Sue and I have developed a friendship at Collonades (she's the sweet old lady missing a lot of teeth?) . We share a common name. It's a quirky kind of friendship.

I also just realized how much I like using parenthesis. I'm assuming it's because i'm not a swell writer and I have trouble staying on one topic at a time. Sorry bout it (p.s. we hate that expression. it makes no sense).

have you ever seen such a good looking muffin top?



Ingredients 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - plus one tablespoon for dusting blueberries
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh blueberries

Cinnamon Streusel Topping
1/4 cup white sugar
2 and 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, cubed
2/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
1. Set oven for 400 degrees and grease the muffin tin with either soften butter or Pam (a flour coating is not required) Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder).

2. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl (egg, milk, vegetable oil)

3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in the center. With a whisk, gradually mix the wet and dry until just combined making sure not to over mix. 

For the streusel: in a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients with a fork. Once the ingredients start to combine finish it off with your hands. Then sprinkle on top of each unbaked muffin in medium sized crumbles.

4. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of all purpose flour over the blueberries and toss them with your hands so they are well covered. Doing this keeps the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffin. (I learned this trick I few years ago from trusty Martha. it really does work). Fold in the blueberries with a spatula.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.


I'm gonna miss you New Orleans! - and of course my Sucre family! y'all were the best. It's not goodbye though. I'll be seeing you over the holidays.

Probably one of my favorite shifts - oh becca boo.
my last shift. michael's taking my place. oh Juan, what a stud
choco chiz, emily's fav flava

No comments:

Post a Comment