Saturday, August 6, 2011

Southern Candied Pecans


Before I started working at Sucré, I would have laughed out loud - yes lolled - if you told me my next new obsession would be pecans. I have never liked pecans. Actually never. Every year when my stepmom made pecan pie for thanksgiving, I would only eat the crust and the goowy stuff - everything but the pecans. Just one of these pecans and I was hooked. Thanks my internship, I luckily got to learn the secret behind this decadent sugar-coated crack. The funny thing is, all of the ingredients are written directly on the can we sell in the store - and it doesn't take a rocket scientists to kind of figure out the rest. Because the ingredients are literally written on the label, I think it would be fair if I posted them here. It takes a little time and work though. So if you don't feel like getting your hands dirty, I highly suggest you stop by the store on Magazine or Lakeside (pref magazine, cause that's where ma gurls at) or order them online (yeah they do that too) cliggity click it to see what i'm talking about.



Ingredients 
a lot of Granulated Sugar
Simple Syrup (Equal parts water and sugar dissolved via the microwave or stovetop)
1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup water 
about 3 tablespoons Praline Liquor
about 2 teaspoons of Salt  
Bag of Pecans (16 ounces)

Directions fo da confections

first dip in the pool
1. Preheat the oven to 300. Toss of the the ingredients (but only using half of the simple syrup mixture) together until well coated and spread on a sheet of parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.


2. Remove the pecans from the oven and let cool completely.

3. Repeat step one with the same amount of ingredients. Make sure the pecans are liberally coated in sugar. Increase the oven temp to 325. Sprinkle even more sugar on top right before placing them back into the oven. Bake for another 25 minutes, tossing the pecans around once or twice during the baking process to make sure they bake evenly.

Second dip in the pool



*warning* don't eat them until they are cool! you will regret this I promise. one because they are blazin hot and two they don't get crunchy until they have had time to dry out.

4. Let the pecans sit out for at least an hour. They are best stored in a tin container or something that can be sealed properly.

To show my appreciation for this super special treat, I decided to show you a variety of glamor shots of them in all of their pecany glory.





No comments:

Post a Comment