Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Apple Muffins


Even though I made these forever ago, I literally haven't had any time to write a post until now. I think its a pretty known fact that I like to take an embarrassing amount of fruit from our dining halls so I don't have to pay for them myself. As a result I sit in my apartment, day dreaming about what free ingredients I can scavenge from around the campus to bake with. Banana bread was just the beginning. Thankfully all the dining halls serve green apples which are perfect for baking because they resemble granny smith in texture and tartness (perhaps they are grannies, I mean who knows for sure). I had been wanting to make apple muffins for a while as well so finally the timing was perfect. (sometimes I forget to bring a bag to the dining halls and thus am nervous about getting caught with a bundle of apples or bananas in my hands...)


Apple Muffins

Ingredients
Muffin:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
3 small apples, cubed

Streusel:

1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 and dice your apples 


In a large bowl, cream together the vegetable oil, milk and egg. 

Then add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon) 


Stir in the apples with a spatula until well incorporated

Scoop the mixture into a well-greased muffin pan (or use cupcake liners – If you are using a lot of apples, I might want to suggest using these because my muffins stuck to the pan – although I used butter and not spray so that might have made a difference as well) 


Sprinkle the streusal on top of each muffin. Don't put as much as I did though! they baked over the top and stuck to the pan which made it really hard to take out the muffins after they had cooled.


Bake for 20 – 25 minutes and let cool. 

evidence of my over streusal-idge
and this is why I either suggest using cooking spray or cup liners. I add more apple than the recipe called for though so I bet it wouldn't stick if you put one less apple. I just like my muffins extra apple-y so I think the sticking was worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment