Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies


At the Hill School we always had a pretty impressive dessert table. Unlike at Elon, there was no glass wall that prevented you from grabbing as many desserts as you could hold (which definitely explains the rather hefty thighs I had in high school). For some reason I had a craving for their chocolate crinkle cookies, which they had actually all the time. I also wanted to try something a little different as well because I feel like all the cookies I bake are generally pretty traditional. These cookies are great, but they aren't my favorite. I'll eat them, sure. But I won't get that insatiable craving that I do for all of my other cookie recipes (the neimans, the ny times chocolate chip, those sugar cookies, the oatmeal ones!! I mean I could keep going...) Its a good recipe to have though and they are definitely pretty to look at too!


Chocolate Crinkle Cookies 
Ingredients 

Ingredients
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, melted and cooled
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk

1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners’ sugar  

Directions
In a double boiler, melt the bittersweet chocolate. Let it cool completely


With an electric mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the eggs and vanilla until lighter and fluffier. Then add the melted chocolate.



 
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Instead of dirtying another bowl, I like to sift the dry ingredients over the wet in two stages. With the mixer on low speed, rotate adding the dry ingredients and then the wet ingredients in four rotations. Make sure to always begin and end with the dry ingredients. Cover with bowl with tin foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.



Preheat the oven to 350˚. With an ice cream scoop, scoop out the cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Dip cookie dough ball into the granulated sugar and lightly press into a disk. Then dip it in the confectioners’ sugar. Place the cookies on a silpat or parchment paper (I think tin foil would work too)

Bake for about 14 minutes or until the cookie cracks. I baked it for 10 minutes though because I thought they tasted better a little undercooked because they were less dry (but that’s just me). 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment