Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fontina and Mascarpone Baked Pasta


 On Thursday nights my mom and I like to cook because it's usually just the two of us. I really look forward to these nights because I get my mom all to myself and I get a chance to try out a new dinner/savory recipe.  Its also fun to share the kitchen with her because usually I am all alone in there and my mom is really the person who taught me to cook and bake in the first place.

I wanted to make something healthy but I just couldn't resist this recipe. Its been in my foodgawker favorites for ages and we already had most of the ingredients left over from my dads pizza parties. Regardless of the heath factor, it was so delicious and made an amazing leftover too. I definitely suggest giving this recipe a try. 

(and the pictures definitely don't do it justice either....its hard taking pictures at night - and in my moms kitchen. she's really into the dim, intimate vibe but it doesn't really work out when it comes to food photography)


Fontina and Mascarpone Baked Pasta
Ingredients 
1 pound uncooked penne
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I used cake flour because it was all we had – works just as well)
2 ½ cups whole milk
2 cups shredded fontina cheese
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped

In a large pot, cook pasta according to the package or until you think it’s cooked….I personally had to cook it for at least 6 minutes more than the box said but that’s just me.

In a large pan over medium heat, combine the milk and flour. Stir continuously until it has reached your desired thickness, about 5 minutes. Turn the heat to simmer and mix in the cheeses, salt and pepper.


Pour half of the mixture and half of your pasta into a greased pasta-baking-dish. Mix together. Then add the rest of your pasta and cheese mixture and mix again. > I thought this was easier than dirtying another pot


Using the same skillet used to make the sauce, melt the butter and then mix in the garlic and breadcrumbs. Lightly toast it and then sprinkle it on top of the pasta.

Bake for 25 minutes at 250°

 It was so good and we were so hungry that I forgot to take pictures of it in a bowl...opps! if it helps it looks a lot like baked mac and cheese....

No comments:

Post a Comment