Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cookies and Cream Cookies



I know it's crazy, but Oreos just aren't my favorite. I've never really loved them, even when I was a kid. I'll eat them of course, but I don't bat an eyelash when I pass them in the grocery store or anything. I feel like i'm the only one, but I actually like the golden Oreos so much better. I also get beef for hating steak and preferring Royal Red shrimp over lobster. I know, it's a crime; especially in my family (although maybe not the royal red part). 

My roommate and best friend, i.e. Courtney, happens to love Oreos. When I came across this recipe, I knew that I had to make them (for both of our sakes).  Since I always prefer a hot, homemade chocolate chip-y cookie, I thought these would be the perfect compromise. I couldn't believe it, they were amazing. They also never got hard. Ever. I really don't think it's possible to over bake these because of the pudding, so they are pretty much foolproof; and any foolproof recipe is one that you keep forever - especially when you can say it's completely homemade. (in other words, a boxed cake mix is pretty much foolproof, but where are the bragging rights, youknowwhatimean?) 



The only annoying part about this recipe, at least for my sake, is that you have to buy or have Oreos on hand, and you don't use the entire package. Thus, I end up snacking on the Oreos, even though I don't really enjoy them; because you know, they're just…well there….and that easy to open package just makes them so accessible.... However, having a mother that freezes literally everything (shootout, Althea!), and who actually prefers frozen cookies to fresh, I know that Oreos can last forever in the freezer. And since you only use about half of the package, you can use those leftovers to make another batch in the future OR like a pie crust for a peanut butter pie or something….or cookies and cream ice cream (but with a chocolate base, because of course I don't like regular cookies and cream ice cream either…)

For these cookies, I used this recipe and this recipe; no idea where the original came from.

Cookies and Cream Cookies 
with crushed Oreos and white chocolate chips 

Ingredients 
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature 
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar 
1 3.4 oz. package instant vanilla pudding mix 
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
One column of Oreos, crushed in a plastic bag, plus 5 crushed by hand for bigger pieces 

1 heaping cup of white chocolate chips

Note this cookie recipe follows a slightly different order than normal. But I promise, so as it says. Also, unlike most cookies that need to be refrigerated, these can be baked immediately. I also suggest letting the dough get more room temperature if you plan on refrigerating the dough before baking.

Directions 

1.   In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.

2.   In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy

3.   Add the pudding mix and blend until incorporated

4.   Add eggs one at a time, and then vanilla

5.   Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl and mix until just incorporated  

6.   With a spatula, fold in the chopped and crushed Oreos; then the chocolate chips.

7.   When ready to bake (these can actually be baked immediately) preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 8-10 minutes. (Bake time can vary depending on your oven. I knew they were ready when it was very slightly brown around the edge)




No comments:

Post a Comment