Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

I wanted to actually make something for at least one football game this season, so I decided to make spinach and artichoke dip for the Saints vs. Seahawks playoff game. I also happened to be hunger over with a serious case of the munchies when I was in the grocery store earlier that day, and just couldn't pass up the idea when it popped in my head. You should have seen the bizarre assortment of food I had in my basket as I was checking out. If it wasn't for the dip ingredients, it really wouldn't have made any sense at all. I had angel hair pasta, boxed blueberry muffins mix (only a hungover me would go for this), ice cream, salsa, diet sunkist (SO underrated let me tell you) and then obviously frozen spinach, cream cheese, etc. etc….



Spinach and Artichoke Dip 

Ingredients 
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, room temperature
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil (can use dried)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (plus more for top)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sour cream or mayo
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 frozen square thing of spinach, defrosted
1 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts, rinsed and chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Directions 
Preheat the oven to 350. Rinse and chop the artichoke hearts and set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the spinach and artichoke hearts. (I started with a whisk but that was a pain because the thicker ingredients kept getting stuck. I thought I large spoon was easiest.)

Squeeze out as much liquid from the spinach, break it apart with your hands and add it to the bowl with the other ingredients and mix in with a spatula or large spoon. Then gently stir in the artichoke hearts.

Spread the dip evenly into a baking dish (either one you are serving or a square cake pan. I don't have pretty serving dishes so I used a pan and just put it in a bowl after. I feel like it would have stayed warmer longer in the pan but it wasn't very pretty looking)

Sprinkle a light even layer of mozzarella on top and bake for 25 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment