Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Caramelized Onion Dip



I feel like I've been talking in superlatives but this is the BEST dip ever. Like holy cow it's amazing. I've made it three times in the past month. It also was eaten so quickly I actually "had" to make it again so I could take pictures of it. The secret is in the onions. There are very few things that can compare to the deliciousness of a caramelized onion. That incredible melt it your mouth flavor is totally worth the hour it takes to make them. 

It is also officially 4 days until the end of my college career. It definitely hasn't hit me yet. Maybe it will during the 14 hour drive back to New Orleans....I also feel so unprepared. I keep forgetting I actually have to figure out how to move in to an apartment in New York. - not to mention finding an apartment in general. At least I already have roommates though...finding those would be a doozy at this point 



Caramelized Onion Dip

Ingredients 
*2 Vidalia (sweet) onions, chopped and caramelized
1 16 container of sour cream
1 container of nonfat greek yogurt
2 tablespoons light/low fat mayo
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

*to caramelize the onions, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet with the chopped onions and add about 1/3 cup of water. Cook over medium low heat for about 40 minutes or until the water has evaporated, string occasionally. (during this time feel free to watch TV, take a shower, fold laundry, and check on it every now and then - thats what I do). Turn the heat up a bit and turn it every few minutes or so when the bottom onions start to change color. When the onions have dramatically reduced in size and have changed to a dark golden color, remove from the heat and let read room temperature.

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and boom - you're done. Try not to eat it all at once...


No comments:

Post a Comment