Sunday, October 20, 2013

Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


My stepmom, Stephanie, and my little brothers, Blake and Chase, ask me to bake a certain chocolate chocolate cookie recipe ever since I made them years ago. The problem is, I always have to hunt down the recipe. Especially since Martha Stewarts website is in beta right now, it was such a pain trying to find the exact ones. I found this recipe, which I thought could possibly be the one. Deep down I knew it wasn't the right one, but I was too lazy to keep looking. And there is nothing wrong with adding another recipe my repertoire, either. These don't have the sinful, brownie-like, over the top decadence like the others, but that doesn't mean they aren't delicious! These are chewy, and resemble the texture of a sugar cookie  in opinion. They also spread out a lot, whereas the others barely spread out at all. I even did the cookie dough tower method, and it didn't make a difference. These would make IDEAL ice cream sandwich cookies I bet...yum. Definitely trying that next time.


Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients 

1 cup all purpose four 
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt 
4 ounces coarsely chopped milk chocolate (for melting)
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)
½ milk chocolate chips
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted bitter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together dry ingredients in medium sized bowl and set it aside.

In a double boiler or glass bowl set atop a pot of simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate.

Pour the chocolate into a large mixing bowl or mixer set with a paddle attachment. Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined.

On low speed, mix in the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate for at least an hour (doing this prevents too much spreading and makes it easier to scoop and shape the dough)

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 and bake for about 15 minutes. Note you might want to space out your cookies slightly more than usual because these tend to spread out. I used the baking tall method, but they still spread out regardless. However, doing so might prevent too much spreading. (If you do bake tall, I used a melon baller instead of a normal ice cream/cookie scoop) 








No comments:

Post a Comment