Friday, October 18, 2013

Funfetti Cake Batter Ice Cream


After making the funfetti cookies from Sally's Baking addiction, I still had leftover cake mix that needed to be used. After pilfering through a couple ideas, I decided to kinda do my own thing. Especially since I had a weird quantity leftover. I definitely could have made more cookies, but I had been wanting to make ice cream for a while anyway. I had originally planned on sticking with jeni's best ice cream base and just adding the cake mix, but about a minute into the cooking process I knew that wasn't going to work out at all. Thus, I was pretty nervous about the base. When things don't go according to plan, especially with ice cream, things can easily go wrong during the freezing process. In this case, it couldn't have been better. Holy ice cream this stuff is soo good! And super rich. If I added birthday cake remix inspired ingredients from Cold Stone to this base, this thing would be out of control. I'm definitely putting that on my to-do list for next time.


Homemade Funfetti Cake Ice Cream 
Ingredients 
2 cups whole milk
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream (my store stopped selling normal heavy. I'm not pleased...)
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups yellow cake mix
3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature

Pour the milk, cream, sugar and cake mix into a sauce pan. Have the room temperature cream cheese in a small bowl whipped with a whisk and ready to go. It's ok if the cream cheese basically gets stuck in the whisk because the hot cream will eventually get it out. Heat the milk mixture over medium heat and stir constantly for five minutes. If you stop stirring, the cake will start to cook at the bottom of the pan. When the milk is hot, pour some into the bowl of cream cheese and whisk to combine. Then pour the cream cheese mixture back into the milk. Continue stirring for about a minute or two and then remove the pot from the heat. Pour the ice cream base into a place bag in a bowl placed over an ice bath. Wait until it is completely cool before refrigerating.

Add the sprinkles a minute before the ice cream is finished 




No comments:

Post a Comment