Monday, October 28, 2013

Dulce de Leche filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Dulce de Leche Icing



For my roommates, Mike's, 22nd birthday my other three roommates and I threw him a Cinco de Mike-O themed party at our apartment. I made 2 kinds of salsa, guac, quesco, chocolate churro puppy chow (muddy buddies) and Dulce de Leche filled Chocolate cupcakes with Fluffy Dulce de Leche Icing. I had so much fun cooking and decorating. It was like a dream come true. Finally I could put some of my Pinterest knowledge/ hours of "research" into action. I got a lot of my goods from the dollar tree and worked with some things I already had on hand as well - like terra-cotta pots to hold the guac, martini glasses, and this rug thing that works for Mexican costumes (not totally sure what they are called...)

(also I know the pictures aren't amazing...it was at such an awkward time of day, and that really makes all the difference in the world when it comes to pictures of food etc.)

The only part of this recipe that I actually made up was the icing. Because Dulce de Leche is so thick, I wanted something to contrast with that so the cupcake wouldn't be too heavy. The frosting was light and fluffy, while still having a strong enough dulce de leche flavor. I couldn't stop licking the bowl. I had some left over and it actually pained me to throw it out. But of course, it had to be done. 

I used my favorite cake recipe for the cupcakes and I followed several websites like this one to learn how to boil the can of condensed milk to make dulce de leche (it really is that easy!) - hint though, just don't open the can until it is COMPLETELY cool. I was too excited and mine exploded....


Fluffy Dulce de Leche Icing 
1 package of cream cheese, room temperature 
1 small container heavy whipping cream
leftover dulce de leche from the sweetened condensed milk can (whatever I didn't use to fill the cupcakes. I'd say it was about a 1/2 can) 
2 cups confectioners sugar

In a separate bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form (either by hand or using a mixer - In this case I use the mixer because even if you do over-beat it and it curdles slightly, no one will be able to tell once it is incorporated).

In a larger bowl, cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Then add the dulce de leche.

Using a spatula, gently fold in the whipped cream





The hanging decorations were made out of tissue paper I bought at the dollar tree and thin string I got from Walmart. I cup out each one like a snowflake. Overall, this part cost $1.30. If you buy them online, they can be $10+ - not bad, right?




When a piñata  poops, dulce de Leche filled Chocolate Cupcakes come out




No comments:

Post a Comment