Sunday, April 22, 2012

Anginetti: Italian Lemon Drop Cookies


My friend Bella introduced me to Anginetti cookies at the beginning of the year. Her aunt made her a huge batch of them and I probably ate half. They are not your average cookie though. They are a lot less sweet and definitely more sophisticated. I probably wouldn’t have liked them as a kid, even though they have a somewhat childish appeal. I was also turned off by the vegetable shortening aspect as well, but eventually I gave in. It’s only a fourth of a cup after all, which is a LOT less fat than your average cookie (which in turn makes me feel a lot less guilty about eating them!). Overall, they are actually easier than I thought they would be. The only trouble is the icing aspect, but they are definitely worth adding to your repertoire.

The second I get home I am going to make them for my mom because they are totally her style. I’m sure my dad would love them too simply because they are Italian. I’m pretty sure Angelo Brocato makes these as well, which is a famous Italian pastry shop back in New Orleans. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they have already had them before. 



Anginetti Cookies 

Recipe adapted from Food.com. I shouldn’t even say adapted because the only thing I did differently was subtract a cup of sugar from the icing, and my process is slightly different as well.

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Icing
2 Cups Confectioners’ Sugar
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Cream the vegetable shortening and sugar in a large bowl. (This will not cream the way butter and sugar does, so don’t expect the same consistency.)


Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Then at the lemon extract.


Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat until well incorporated.


Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. It’s a pretty sticky dough so I think this helps with the scooping later.

When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350˚. Scoop with an ice cream scooper onto tin foil or a silpat and place about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light brown. (I thought 13 was perfect) 


Beat the icing ingredients together until smooth. Dip the completely cooled cookie into the icing and let it drip. When you finish dipping all the cookies once, let them sit for a couple of minutes and them dip again. When you begin running out of icing, scoop with a spoon and place dollops on top of each cookie. It will drip down and cover the cookie on its own.  


Add sprinkles when the icing is still wet. Don't wait too long or they wont stick.


Let them dry completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.
 


1 comment:

  1. My daughter made these cookies and I think they are sooo good. Today she sent me your link. Thank you!! Great pictures also.

    ReplyDelete