Monday, February 6, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Who doesn't love red velvet cupcakes? I feel like not liking red velvet is the same as not liking chocolate or cheese. It's just crazy! Red velvet is me and Courtney's favorite, so I decided to bake them for her birthday (and ultimately mine, which is three days later). Because I love them so much, that also makes me extremely picky. I tend to be picky about cupcakes in general though, so I was really hoping that this recipe would be the one. I've tried quite a few in the past and they just weren't exceptional. After I tried this one I will never use another recipe. These are unbelievable. They are perfectly moist and pretty simple to make too. They do require a lot of cream cheese, but that's literally the only flaw to these cupcakes. I seriously suggest giving them a try. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!


Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Filling  
This recipe is from Sweet Little Details

Ingredients 

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 ½ cups of white chocolate chips

Directions 
In a small bowl, blend the cream cheese, egg and sugar on medium speed until smooth. Then pour in the white chocolate chips and mix until combined. 



Red Velvet Cupcakes 
This cupcake recipe is from Bakerella 

Ingredients 
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 oz. red food coloring

Directions 
Preheat the oven to 350. (Although I discovered that making the batter a day or so before and keeping it in the fridge made them even more moist and delicious. If you have to bake then right away, that is fine too, but I highly suggest preparing it ahead of time)

Whisk the eggs together in a medium bowl. Then add the rest of the liquid ingredients and beat until the oil and buttermilk no longer appear separated.



In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium high speed until completely combined.




Fill the cupcake liners to about 2/3 full. Top off with a heaping teaspoon of filling. (you can also do half the batter, the filling and then more filling on top if you prefer)

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.




Cream Cheese Frosting 
Ingredients 

2, 8oz. packages of Cream Cheese, room temperature (or microwave for 30 seconds)
1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 box of confectioners sugar (1 pound, about 2 and a half cups...I think...)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Blend all ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.



4 comments:

  1. How do you do to give the cream cheese frosting that consistency? :( mine is not that hard and it doesn't stay that pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. try refrigerating it or continue to add small amounts of confectioners sugar until it becomes thicker. Also, make sure your cupcakes are completely cool and butter isn't too soft because that can make a big difference as well. Just the slightest bit of warmth can melt the frosting. I try and wait at least an hour. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. 32 I'm pretty sure! The original recipe says it makes 2 dozen, but I think it all depends on how much filling you add to the center.

      Delete