Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

My step dad Jon used too get an ooey gooey butter cake as a gift around christmas time every year. For some reason we don't get them anymore and I can't tell you how depressing that really is. I've been dying to make it every since we stopped getting them and I finally finally got around to doing it. I mean the cake mix had been sitting in the cabinet staring at me for a while so it really had to be done. It was sooo good. However, as you can see from the pictures, they are not as ooey or gooey as they should be. (although my amazingly sharp and efficient Shun knife also can contribute to the super clean edges as well) When I was baking it I was honestly too scared to under-cook it and have it too ooey, so I put it back in. Bad choice. It's called ooey gooey cake for crying out loud! It was still delicious but it would have been better if I had only cooked it for 40 minutes. Remember for next time! I also really think it tastes better cold too. Perhaps its because the first time I tried it it was right out of the fridge, but who knows.



Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
from Paula Deen

Ingredients
for the Crust
1 Box of Yellow Cake Mix
1 egg
1 stick of unsalted butter, melted

for the ooey gooey
1, 18 ounce package of cream cheese
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
8 stick of unsalted butter, melted
2 cups of confectioners sugar

Directions 
1. Preheat the oven In a bowl with an electric mixer, mix together the cake mix, egg and melted butter.
 

2. Pour the mixture into a greased square or rectangular pan. Firmly press down with a spatula until smooth and even.



3. In that same bowl (which should be clean because the previous crust mixture should have formed somewhat of a solid mass) beat the cream cheese until light and smooth.



4. Then add the eggs, vanilla, and butter. Blend well.

5. Lastly, add the confectioners sugar and blend on high for about 2 minutes.



6. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust and bake for 40-50 minutes. (I baked closer to 50 and I regret it. I was afraid of under-cooking it too much but don't be! that's the point!) Next time I will only bake for 40.


7. Let it cool completely and sprinkle gently with confectioners sugar





2 comments:

  1. It was soooo ooey gooey yummmy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you posted on my blog and not on facebook. best big evaaaa

      Delete